Friday, January 18, 2013

FASHION FRIDAYS | 100th Post!

Wow I can't believe I have had so much to say in the last six months! 100 posts already? I don't believe it, but its true. So should I talk about? Hmm. Well, I think maybe I should explain a bit what is a tomgirl since it graces your faces in the title bar. Two years ago....actually lets go back even further. Almost four years ago, I turned 25 and realized the clothes I had really didn't represent me as a continually transforming human being. It was extremely hard finding clothes that I liked because I had pretty much defined myself as a tomboy for most of my life, but I  desperately wanted to feel like a woman, just without all the frills. Everything in the store that was targeted to my age bracket was geared toward either the working woman or the party polyester blend girl. I even (I kid you not) submitted a video to What Not to Wear because I was absolutely frustrated with the way that I dressed. I looked like a boy with makeup on.

Then about three years ago Janelle Monae got really popular with her iconic updo and feminine tuxedo and shortly there after women's fashion went back to the androgynous phase, only this time femme touches were added. Not only that but blogs like Tomboy Style hit my radar (so thankful for it) and redefined what a tomboy was. It wasn't just about playing with the boys in boy's clothes, but about the liberty of being a woman beyond social and cultural constraints.

I know, pretty heavy for such a simple lifestyle.

So with that in mind, I thought long and hard about myself. I love screaming at the top of my lungs at a basketball game, running faster than the boys, getting dirty, seeing if I have the loudest burp, and being a kid when moments allow it. But I also love feeling pretty, twirling around in a circle till my skirt fans out, crossing my legs at the ankles, and turning heads as I saunter into a room. And I want to do it with out making a fuss every day. I want to stick it to the man like Katherine Hepburn, but do it with the grace of Kelly, and the appeal of Rita Hayworth. Ohhh, so I am a vintage dame as well.


{source}


So tomgirl? Well, to me its the mixture of the simplicity but wildness of a tomboy and the refinement and elegance of a woman. Shirt pants shoes. Not boring, just not over accessorized. I have been practicing more with makeup as I have gone most of my life without it on a regular basis. Simple statement pieces that stand out just enough to where you hear its sultry whisper beckoning you to come closer.

Its been a long endearing process of perfecting my style and I am no where near it, but I am happy with the results so far. I want to make sure I am always evolving in this current world, but never forgetting what the past has contributed.

That all being said, I want to have a giveaway in February. 14 days of TOMGIRL love. I haven't figured out what I am giving away yet, but it will definitely be something that I have seen most of my readers drool over (yes I do read your blogs even if I don't comment all the time :) ) So keep reading on! February will be here sooner than later and you don't want to miss what I have for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment